Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The Party's Over


Oh man, the party is over, tell us about it Willie....



I go back to work tomorrow after being off for two weeks.  I have to say that these last two weeks have been the greatest.   We had so much fun in Olympic National Park and then to be home and have some time to do some projects.   I did pretty well these last three days.  I really started pounding out my version of a steamer trunk.   

I managed to get all the metal pieces sanded, primed and painted.  This was the bulk of the work for this project.  There are 32 pieces of steel parts that I saved from the original as well as two pieces of brass for the lock.   The patent date on the lock is 1880, pretty cool.

I have built a new trunk, using nothing but glue and wood dowels as nails.  How I made the lid is interesting.  I built the whole box, with the top and bottom already on.   Then I elevated my blade on the table saw, and just cut the top off the box, working all the way around it.   Now I can ensure a great fit when going to put it all together.

I stained the box and the lid, three coats on each.  Then I taped off where I wanted my braces to be and painted them green.   It looks pretty awesome with golden oak stain and green colored braces.  It was dry enough that I could put a coat of urethane on the lid.  Wow this really made it pop!  Just the look I was going for.

It’s hard to explain what it looks like and I didn’t get a picture.  But here is a picture of what I started
with.  The new trunk looks nothing like this, but utilizes all the original hardware that you see on the donor trunk.

Our dog Pebbles, what a nut she is.   I was sitting on the back patio watching the news and she is lying on the recliner.   She has her nose in the air and she is working her head back and forth.   I am pretty sure she was checking to see if there were in new smells in the vicinity.   It was fun to sit there and watch her., silly dog.

As I was looking for a fun video to share, I also came across Willie singing America the Beautiful. What I liked was the scenery and to see that there are still so many places in my backyard that I need to go see and hike.  







No comments: