Thursday, February 21, 2013

Snow Day


I would say that we ended up with a total of 5 to 6 inches of snow over the night.  Candy was all abuzz this morning.   They closed her office so she got a snow day.   She already has Friday’s off, so she ended up with a 4 day weekend.

The insulation guys called me around 7:30am to let me know they were going to be late.  That wasn't a surprise, they estimated 9:30am but I knew that was going to be tough to make with the weather and the roads they way they were.  I left the house around 8:15am, the side streets were bad but the main roads were in pretty good shape.

Stopped for a coffee and got to the shop around 8:30am.   Turned on the kerosene heater and setup a place to work on the work bench.  I have a wireless card for my laptop, problem is that at the shop I get two bars at best.  I had a calls scheduled at 9:00am and 9:30am.  I went and sat in the truck with the heater on so I could keep warm.   The kerosene heater makes a lot of noise so that wasn't going to work.

Come 10:30am the workers showed up.  We chit chatted and went over what they were going to do.   They unloaded what they needed and got right to work.  We were able to keep the doors closed up so we could keep the heat in.   Watching these guys today I could have done this myself.  Difference is that they had all the tools, scaffolding and everything needed.   It would take me a couple of weeks if I did try to do it.   They made pretty quick work of it today, they finished up half of the shop and were done by 3:30pm.

Basically they ran all the straps first, starting in the middle and then to each wall.  Then they came back and did the beams between the middle and the wall.   Once all the straps were up they then pulled the insulation above the straps.   I could go into much more detail but I am lazy and it has been a long day.

Once they wrapped up I moved the two trucks under the completed section and moved a few other things so that when they get here in the morning we can get going.   We just need to finish out the other half and around the garage doors.  I think this is going to work out really well.  

No comments: