Monday, June 9, 2008

Goals are good

One of my goals is to see if I can walk/hike 1,095 miles within a 12-month period. I started keeping track on March 1st, 2008. I have a Garmin GPSmap 60 that I carry with me for each hike and each day that I walk to work. I am lucky my office is located 2.5 miles from my home. To date I have 253.07 miles in. I started out strong in March, but caught a nasty bug in early April and it hung with me all month.

March: 103.6/Miles
April: 24.5/Miles
May: 76.6/Miles
June: 64.89/Miles to date

I have kicked June off in high gear. At my current pace I should be able to get at least 150 to 175 miles in for the month. I have been trying to walk at least 5 miles or more daily.

In addition to keeping track of my daily miles I have also tried to keep count of what I eat. It is pretty easy once you get in the habit and definitely will help you with your food choices and portions. Part of the reason I am doing all this walking to get healthy and loose weight. I also really just dig it.


Being that this weekend is Father's Day I may do an overnight trip. I got a new hammock that I have been wanting to try out.

It’s made by Eagle Nest Fitters, Inc. http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/. Mine is a Singlenest Hammock. It was purchased from one of the Eddie Bauer stores in town. You had to purchase the straps separately. All together it is about a $60.00 investment. You could use a rope, but the straps seem to work very well from testing I have done in the back yard. The label says it should hold up to 400lbs, so I should be good. The hammock and straps don’t weigh much so it doesn’t add a lot to the overnight pack that I will be taking.



If I do make it out for an over night trip, I am thinking about heading up Saint Mary’s Falls. I was up there this last weekend and scouted out a few places that looked pretty decent for what I want to do. Plenty of fire wood and very secluded so shouldn’t run into anyone. Will need to put my list together of what I am taking with me.

No comments: