Saturday, May 4, 2013

San Diego

Friday the 3rd of May and I am in the air on my way back home.   It's been a long week, a little
more than a week I guess now.   I arrived in San Diego on April 25th.    We stayed at the Manchester Grand Hyatt for the entire time.   One of the nicest Hyatt's I have been in.

I guess it is best to just start from the beginning to tell the story.   Candy and I flew in on the evening of the 25th and tried to much as we could do with the time that we had together.   We started off by going to the San Diego Zoo.  This has to be one of the nicest zoos that I have been to.   The weather was spectacular and it wasn't too crowded for a Friday.  One of the things I think we both enjoyed the most was all flora that grows in this area and plus what they had at the zoo.   Everything was in bloom and green, very different from our Colorado vegetation.    It would be nice to be able to grow the types of plants, cactus, trees, flowers that they have.   The zoo is nicely laced out and we spent most of our time walking looking at all the animals.   One of our favorites had to be the baby Panda.   So cute you just want to take him home.  We all know how that ends though.   You find yourself on one of the shows, like when animals attack or worlds dumbest.   They sure are cute though. See the zoo pictures

After finishing our tout through the zoo we were headed back to the hotel and saw a sign for Coronado Island.   We decided since it was still early enough would drive across the bridge and check it out.   We ended up on Silver Strand State Beach and decided to walk.   Took off our shoes, socks and rolled our pants up and away we went.    We had a blast looking for sea shells, there were so many.   I can only name one and that is a sand dollar.   We managed to find 8 or 9 that were complete and not broke.   We also found a variety of other shells as we strolled along.   Later that evening we looked up the name for the beach and found out that it ranks third in regards to the best beaches to find sea shells.   There were several people who were kite surfing.  Now this looks like it should be a lot of fun, once you figured out how to maneuver and turn.   If we had more time I would have like to try it myself, might need a bigger sail to get my fat ass up and going. 

We packed up our collection of sea shells and continued our drive and made our way back to the hotel.   We then headed out to seaport village and found a place for dinner.  We both ate too much but it was so good.  From here it was back to the hotel and we both crashed after our big day.

On Saturday we headed out around 10 AM and drove up to Torrey Pines State Park.  We were looking to get some hiking in and from the research we did this looked like a nice place to do so. We parked along the coast and made our way up the road to catch the trail head.  The first trail was about a mile loop with some great views of the ocean down below.  The second trail we took was the Beach trail.   This trail took you through the hills and then ended down on the beach.  From here you can walk back to the parking area.   It was a great day to be out and again we really enjoyed the change in scenery, all together we managed to get about 5 miles logged.   See Torrey Pines Sate Park pictures

On our way back we headed to Old Town.  This is an area in old down town with lots of shops and restaurants.   Our first stop was to find something to eat as neither of us had any breakfast.  We ended up at Casa Guadalajara and the food was great.  I had seafood enchiladas and Candy had enchiladas but three different kinds.  Good Food!

After finding parking we made our way to old town and walked up and down the street looking at the various shops and goods.   I am not much of a shopper but it was fun to look at all the different stuff they had and the Mexican art.   I think the only thing we bought was a wooden bowl with a parrot painted on the inside.   Candy thinks it will make a good candy bowl.   We did stop and buy a tortilla from one of the vendors.   They would make them up for you and then had butter and other seasonings to add, very tasty.

Made our way back to the hotel and cleaned up after being out all day.  Headed back down and found a place for dinner.

Sunday, Candy had to fly back; she had a 2 PM flight.  We spent the morning getting her packed and me as we'll as I had to change rooms for the conference I was attending.    Once packed, we headed down for a coffee and did some walking around the seaport village area.   I think we left about 11:30 and I drove Candy over to the airport for her flight.   It was a great weekend and we had a great time.

It worked out well as I dropped off Candy; I was able to pick up a co-worker who was also flying in for the conference.  Headed back to the hotel and got all checked in again.   We headed down to the pool and hung out for an hour.   I left and went and found out where our booth was located and checked in.  That evening we had one of our clients in town, who was also here for the conference.   We met up with them and headed out for dinner.  We found ourselves in a sushi restaurant.   I don't know the name of the platter that was order but on it in the middle were shrimp heads and they were still moving, that was a little intense as I had not seen that before.   Once you finish the platter then they deep fry the shrimp heads and bring them back out to you.  We ate them.

Starting on Monday we were working the booth and talking with prospects, made for long days, standing all day.  Made for long night as well as we had customers to entertain.   On Tuesday night we held a little party at the top of the Hyatt bar.   I panicked as it almost didn't happen, but that is another story. it did though and we had about 5 new prospects join us in addition to our current customers.  I guess about 20 people all together.   The party ended at 7:30 PM and then we were headed out to dinner again.

On Wednesday afternoon we had a break so I headed over the check out the Midway Museum.  This was actually pretty cool!  I am glad I took the time to visit.  I did a couple of the tours and learned a bit about the ship and the various operations that it had been involved in.   They had numerous airplanes and displays from some of the various battles it had been in. See Midway Pictures

Even with all the fun, I am so ready to get back home and get back into my routine.   I am behind with work and have a lot of catch up to do.

Happy Hiking

No comments: