Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Dennis Does India – Part One

Greetings all, been a crazy week for me.   I made a trip to India for work and managed to get some sightseeing in as well.   I don’t even know where to start with part 1, I guess at the beginning.  Firstly, for a beginner international traveler like me, a 15/hour plane flight was pretty intense.   Include the 4/hours travelling from Denver to Newark, it made for a long travel day.   I left the house at 6:30 AM on Monday and arrived in Delhi at 9:00PM on Tuesday.

I had applied for a visa online and it worked.   I showed them the letter of approval, gave my finger prints and they took a photo.  Thank god it worked as it would have been a quick trip if they wouldn’t have let me into the country.

I was traveling with a co-worker. Mr. Vivek Agarwal and he had arranged for his brother to pick us up at the airport as well as hosting us in his home for the evening.  When we arrived at the house and I was introduced to the Agarwal family and they greeted me with open arms.  We had a light traditional Indian dinner.  I finally got to bed about midnight and was up four hours later to get showered and dressed to catch the next flight to travel to Hyderabad India.
We arrived in Hyderabad by 8:30AM and then had meeting s all day once we arrived concluded by drinks and dinner.   We stayed at the Taj Krishna for the evening.  Once checked in, I crashed and crashed hard.  I was in bed by 10:00PM and didn’t awake until 6:30AM Thursday morning.   Felt great to finally get some sleep.

The hotel was nice and had a great buffet restaurant loaded with various Indian dishes.  I was pretty much a vegetarian the entire week I was there.   I did have eggs and one day I ate shrimp/prawns.   So basically I didn’t have any red meat.

On Wednesday afternoon we were treated to a tour of the old city and the market area.  Candy had asked me to find her some yarn while I was there and that is what I did.  It took some work and after several stops but we finally found some.  I wasn’t even sure if it was what she wanted or was looking for but I picked up several packages.  One of the folks I was with snapped a picture and I sent it to Candy.  She posted it in her yarn group and got over 1600 likes.  Hell I can’t even get that on our company facebook page.

Following the Old Market visit we traveled to Golconda Fort.  We hired a guide who gave us a quick tour with the hour that we had available.  The knowledge of acoustics that they had in the 14th century is pretty incredible.

Below are a few pics from my two days in Hyderabad.
Taj Krishna Hotel

Buying Yarn in Hyderabad

Hyderabad Market

Vivek Agarwal at Golconda Fort

Golconda Fort

My First Cow Sighting

No comments: