Friday, December 28, 2012

Bacon Gravy


Ran over to the shop this morning and pulled the charger off the Model A.  Hit the starter button on the truck and it turned over and seemed to have plenty of cranking power.   I need to get some gas and will see if I can get it started.

Couple of days ago I made some suet from bacon drippings.    I needed bacon for the bacon gravy I was making to go with our mashed potatoes and left over’s from Christmas.   So anyway I poured the bacon grease into a paper coffee cup and then added bird seed from the bag.   Once it cooled I put it into the freezer and let it sit overnight. The next day I pulled it out of the freezer and tore the paper cup about halfway down so that half of the suet was exposed.

I placed it outside on the fence.   I tried to keep an eye to see if any birds were attracted to it.  I did see a couple sitting next to it, but not eating from it.   The next morning I looked and it was gone.    A squirrel or a raccoon must have gotten it overnight.

We were at Michael’s today so while I was wondering around the store, I came across a few items that I could use to make a bird feeder for the backyard.    I spent about eight dollars and it took me about 10 minutes to put it together.   Filled it full of bird seed and hung in on the back patio.

Bacon Gravy Recipe
4 Slices of bacon
2 Tablespoons of Bacon Grease
2 Tablespoons of Flower
2 Cups of Milk
Salt and Pepper to taste

Cook the bacon until crispy and then pour off the bacon grease.   Set bacon aside and in the same skillet, add two tablespoons of the bacon grease and add the two tablespoons of flower and whisk until lumps are gone.   Then add the two cups of milk and heat and whisk until thickened.  Crumble the bacon and stir into gravy.

Happy Hiking

No comments: