Thursday, June 24, 2010

Keep on Trucking!

It’s been a decent month for getting some miles in, as of today I am up to 87.5. If I can keep it together, should be able to break a 100 this month. I have been getting out and getting some distance in on the weekends. I need to step up my walking to work but it has been tough with so much going on. Oh there I go making excuses!

I did walk to work and back today, made my way through the Bear Creek Regional Park. If you are new to the area this is a great place to do some hiking and get acclimated with the elevation.

I haven’t been able to get any good photos of the coyotes that live in the park. The best time to catch a glimpse is in the early morning. This year I have only spotted one, but he was gone before I could get to the camera.

You know it is a sure sign of summer when the Milkweed (Asclepias syriaca) plants are blooming.  I came across this one in the park on the way home. These will grow anywhere from 2 to 6 feet high. Did you know that Monarchs need milkweed to survive. The butterfly lays its eggs on milkweed plants. The growing larvae (caterpillars) eat milkweed leaves. These leaves contain toxins- poisonous chemicals. These toxins don't hurt the caterpillar, but they do make the caterpillar poisonous to most predators. Because it eats milkweed leaves as a caterpillar, the monarch butterfly is also poisonous. The survival of the monarch butterfly depends on this self-defense system provided by the milkweed.

The Yucca plants are flowering now as well. I came across this one and it had ants crawling all over it.

Happy Hiking

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice job on the 85 miles. Keep it up!