Sunday, May 6, 2018

Play Time

I started a new project this weekend.  I am trying to build a decorative radial engine that I can hang on the wall.   I have a propeller that I had made and it is sitting in the corner at my office and I thought how cool would it be to mount in on an engine and hang it on the wall.

I used a 4x6 piece of Douglas Furr to make the cylinder heads.  I cut out seven of them, but will only be using six.   I had drawn the plans of what I wanted to do, so I had the vision and then just cut it up on the table saw.  Then I mocked up the look I was going for.  It's art, so not meant to be accurate.   Kinda going for a steampunk look as well.


Once I had all the cylinder heads cut out it was time for paint.  I painted the heads black and painted the bolts I will be using red.  I cut holes for the spark plugs and for the lifter rods.  Next, I will need to spray the wood with a sealer to help protect it.   I think this is going to look pretty awesome when it is done.   I still have a few things to figure out when it comes to how I am going to mount the propeller. Below is an example of where I am heading with this project.






No comments: