Thursday, October 11, 2012


Wow, finally back home after being out on the road for the last 10 days.   I was in San Francisco as we worked two conferences and Xtivia hosted our Portal Leadership Retreat over the weekend between the two conferences.   All went very well and had a great time with the team our customers and partners.

The city was packed with people.   Oracle Open World and JavaOne were going on.  It was also Fleet Week as well as the America’s Cup.  The first week there was a team of three of us working at the JavaOne conference.  The conference ended Thursday and Wednesday afternoon I could feel something coming on.  I could feel my throat getting sore and my sinus were dry and burning.   That next morning I woke up and my head was congested, eye’s running and head full of crap.

I went out and bought some cold and flu medicine and spent my day Thursday locked up in the hotel room in bed.    Candy was scheduled to arrive that evening, so at 8:00 PM I grabbed a cab and went out to the airport.   Picked her up around 9:00 PM and we grabbed a cab and headed back to the hotel.   Didn’t take her long to figure out I was sick.  Back at the hotel we ate at a Thai restaurant nearby the hotel.   Some of the best Thai I had eaten all week.

On Friday I put on a smile and we headed out of the hotel mid-morning.  Down on the street there were numerous vendors with local arts and crafts, we walked through and checked them out.   Then we walked over to the pier across the street.   It had numerous shops.   We had a quick bite and then headed back to the hotel.  I took a nap for a couple hours and Candy went out and checked out the shopping.  Later that evening we headed out and grabbed dinner and were back to the hotel around 8:00 PM.  We crashed out early, or at least I did.

Felt a little better on Saturday.  We went down to Pier 39 and checked out the shops and the Sea Lions.   When walking back to the hotel we came across wild parrots in a park near the hotel.   Apparently they escaped from a pet store several years back and have adapted to the area.

Sunday morning I was still feeling sick and oh yeah Happy Birthday.  Sunday October 7th was my 48th Birthday.   We headed out and got a coffee and walked around the street vendors and checked out the arts & crafts.    Candy got me a new pair of glass cuff links that one of the vendors was selling.  We headed back to the hotel around noon and got her bags and got her in a car back to the airport.

Back at the hotel I made my way down to the conference area and found our location.   They had already delivered our booth display.    I started pulling everything out of the cases and got the booth all together and got all of our marketing material all setup.  It looked pretty awesome.   When done I headed up and showered and got dressed as I had a team dinner to host.    Before heading out I had a co-worker take a picture of me with our booth display.

The conference was great and XTIVIA received the Liferay North American Partner of the Year for 2012.   We have a great team and everyone has worked really hard to make this happen.

I got home late Wednesday evening still feeling ill.  I did try to keep track of my miles, but blew the diet; I was eating out most lunches and dinners and eating way too much.   I logged about 12 miles.  I am home for about 10 days before I have to make my next trip. 

No comments: