Sunday, June 14, 2009

New Life in the Hood!

So today I got out of bed at 5:30AM. I had the alarm set for 6:30AM so that we could get out and get a hike in. We had slept with the door in our bedroom open. At 5:30AM there was a high pitched scream coming from the backyard. I knew the sound and had heard it before, it was a deer. I put on some shorts and went out to look. The sound was coming from the yard behind us. Since we put in the fence we don’t have deer in the yard anymore. At least now we can grow some plants.

I headed up the path to the direction of the sound. A Doe had just given birth to a baby. It was on the ground trying to stand. I wanted to stay longer and look, but could tell the mother was not at all happy about me being there.

This mother deer had been tagged. We have several in the neighborhood and this one had a collar with the number 6 on it.

I went back and looked about two hours later and saw that there were two fawns. I didn't stay long as the mother was starting to move towards me. I went back a little later with the camera but couldn't see them. I am sure that I will and will snap a few photos.

I did however find a baby blue jay. I snapped a few pics’s and have included them below. Funny, I will have to remember this date as this is the time for babies! Last year on June 25th I had found a Robins nest. It had three babies in it. Only to be eaten by a big Hawk who swooped in and ate them.

I filled the Squirrel Feeder today and it looks as though they were happy. Love the squirrels and so do the dogs!

Between the deer and bird watching, I did fire up the smoker and get the brisket on. We ate around 5PM and I think this was one of my best. I had made a tinfoil boat and laid the brisket in. Kept the fire just around 250 degrees and added soaked hickory chunks. After 4 hours I flipped it and added charcoal and more hickory.

I cooked up corn on the cob, grilled asparagus, dinner rolls and a big pitcher of sangria. Everything was excellent and spent the time with family and a few friends. They did the dishes, so what more could you ask for!

No comments: