Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Home for the Holidays

I was looking this evening and my last entry was 17 days ago, shame on me.   I was traveling for a week and have just been super busy with work, and tired.  It is dark here at 5 PM, by 6:30 I am usually ready for bed.  I am trying to get myself motivated and walk more, but I can usually find a good excuse to get out of it.  I did walk to work yesterday and last week I did get 7.5 miles in.   A start but not where I should be.

So traveling, I went up to NJ and celebrated the holidays with our team there and then up at 5 AM the next morning on our way to Austin for another company holiday party that evening.  I had a blast and this time I bought a ticket for Candy and flew her with me.   I think she had a great time and it was nice to see everyone as well as present how great we are doing as a company.

We had an extra day in Austin and we went out antiquing.  Found a lot of cool stuff to look at.   I picked up two small s wrenches and Candy bought a candy jar.   It was fun to look around and see antiques from a different part of the country.   I came across several items that I had not seen before in our area.  All in all it was a world wind trip and I was exhausted when we got home.

I haven’t really even spent much time in the shop over the last couple of weeks.  It has been cold, plus the flu bug is going around.   Candy was down most of last week with it and now both Eric and Clark seem to have it.   I have been lucky thus far, but I do have a container of Lysol cleaning wipes attached to my belt and hand sanitizer in each pocket.    I don’t want it, it looks and sounds nasty!

Next week I get to go on a little PTO and I am looking forward to it.   I am off work from December 20th through January 4th.  16 days off, oh man I am so excited, so many things I want to do, from hiking to coming up with some cool stuff in the shop.  

I have been needing a new ladder for the shop, the one I have is old, made of wood and not very stable.   I am looking to hang some items from the ceiling and told Santa that I could use one for Christmas.   When I came home this evening there was a 12 ft. ladder in the entry way that I had to step over.   How the hell she got it into the house, let alone home I have no idea.   It’s great that I got this early as I can get started sooner since I am off work and don’t have to wait until after Christmas to get started.


Speaking of ladders, I did build one this weekend.   Candy has been asking me for a quilt ladder to hang her quilts on, so I ran over the too the Depot and picked up some quality pine studs and dowels.   Took them over to the shop and in about 20 minutes I had built my first quilt ladder.   I cut the sides to length then placed one on top of the other and clamped them together.   Drilled ¾ holes through both of them at the same time and then just cut the dowels to length and glue it all together.    I have enough wood to make two of them; I just need to put the second one together.




No comments: