Saturday, December 6, 2008

Stove Mountain

Stove Mountain Hike Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/drobincorvette/20081206?authkey=OBgnGy0NOQ4

I got a later start than I would have liked this morning. In the truck and on the road by 8:30 reaching the Gold Camp parking lot around 8:45. Turned on the GPS and reset it to zero and waited for satellite reception. Hung the pack on my back and selected a play list from the IPod. I was ready to roll.

The pack probably weighed about 15 pounds today. I had the snow shoes with me and my 9mm. Starting out the trail had a light snow covering, maybe and inch. The first part of this trails see quite a bit of action so the snow was packed. As I begin gaining elevation the snow got deeper. The St. Mary’s Falls trail had more snow and icy spots. That’s when I stopped and put on my stableicers. They go over you shoe and keep you from slipping on the ice and snow.

Once I reached the top of falls and continued into Buffalo Canyon, the snow was about 5 to 6 inches deep and I could have worn the snow shoes. But I didn’t want to hassle with pulling the back off and getting them on.

Today I took a side trail that I had not been on before. This trail takes you up to Stove Mountain. No one else had been on the trail since the snow, so the snow was fresh. That’s the way I like it! Today’s hike was 12.5/miles round trip.


No comments: